You will need: A library card and PIN, a computer running Mac OS X, Wi Fi or Ethernet, and Safari or another web browser.
Install any of the following software.
- Adobe Digital Editions – EPUB and PDF books
- Kindle for Mac – Kindle format books
- OverDrive Media Console – MP3 audiobook files
- cloudLibrary for Mac – a subset of our e-book collection
Checking out e-books
- Browse and search for books at browse.nypl.org
- On the book you want, click “Check out with…”
- Enter your library card number and PIN.
- If the book you want is unavailable, place a hold to be notified when you can borrow it.
- Click the download link and select the format you would like. For EPUB and PDF this will download an ACSM file to your computer. When you open it, it should launch Adobe Digital Editions and open your file.
For cloudLibrary e-books, open the cloudLibrary app. Your book will be available there.
For Kindle Books, you will be taken to amazon.com to complete your checkout and must sign in to your account there to have the book “delivered” to your Kindle app.