You will need: NYPL library card and PIN, a computer running Windows 7, Vista or XP, Wi Fi or Ethernet connection, and a web browser.
Install any of the following software.
- Adobe Digital Editions – EPUB and PDF books
- OverDrive (Windows 10, Windows 8.1)
- Kindle for PC – Kindle format books
- OverDrive Media Console – MP3 audiobook files
- cloudLibrary for Windows – a subset of our e-book collection
Checking out e-books
- Browse and search for books in the catalog.
- On the left side under Format, select eBook
- On the book you want, click Borrow.
- Enter your library card number and PIN.
- If the book you want is unavailable, click Place a Hold to be notified when you can borrow it.
- Click the download link. This will download an ACSM file to your computer. When you open it, it should launch Adobe Digital Editions and open your file.
For cloudLibrary e-books, open the cloudLibrary app. Your book will be available there.
For Kindle Books, you will be taken to amazon.com to complete your checkout and must sign in to your account there to have the book “delivered” to your Kindle app.
More help at OverDrive >>
Still need help? Find an e-book class at your local library.