You can use the OverDrive Media Console app to borrow e-books and MP3 audiobooks from NYPL for your device running Android v2.2 - 3.2. You will need a valid library card and PIN, and an email address.
Setting up OverDrive on your Android tablet or phone
- Go to the Google Play Store and install the OverDrive app.
- Authorize your device. You will need to enter your existing Adobe ID or create one if you don't have one.
- Tap the Get Books + button, or go to Menu > Get Books.
- Tap Add a Library.
- Enter your ZIP code or the name of your library. Find the name of your library, and then tap the star next to the name to add it to your list of libraries (you can add other libraries that you go to, like Brooklyn Public Library or Queens Library!)
Customizing your eNYPL lending periods
- Open the OverDrive menu and tap New York Public Library to go to the e-book catalog.
- Tap Sign In in the upper right corner of the screen, and then enter your library card number and PIN and tap Sign In.
- Tap the Account icon, and then tap Settings. Choose your lending period preferences and tap Save. If you set your eBook lending period to 21 days, you will be able to return books early if you are finished with them.
Checking out e-books
- You can search for a title, author, subject, or keyword, or you can browse titles by subject.
- To browse e-books tap the menu icon, and then tap Browse eBooks by subject. Tap View more... to see a full dropdown list of subjects and genres to browse.
- When you are browsing titles a black book icon on the cover of an item indicates that it is available to borrow. If a greyed-out book icon appears, the item is currently unavailable to borrow, but you can place a hold on it.
- After you select a subject, you can tap Filter search by: and then tap Available Now under Show me... to see only e-books that you can borrow immediately.
- Tap the cover of the e-book you want and then tap Borrow.
- If the item is not available you will see a Place a Hold button instead of the Borrow button. If you place a hold on the title, you will receive an email notifying you when it is available for checkout.
- Enter your library card number and your PIN and tap Sign In. After you sign in, you will see the eBook you borrowed on your eNYPL Bookshelf.
- Tap Download and then tap Adobe EPUB eBook. If you see a green checkmark next to Adobe EPUB format, tap Confirm & Download. If you are downloading an audiobook, choose the MP3 format.
- Open the OverDrive menu and tap Bookshelf to find the e-books and audiobooks you have downloaded. (Please note that audiobooks require more time to download than e-books.)
Tap the book cover to start reading.
Tap in the center of the screen to access the table of contents and bookmarks and the eBook formatting options, such as font size.
- To return a book from your OverDrive Bookshelf, tap and hold your finger on the cover of the eBook until the Delete, Return, and Share options appear.
- Tap Return and confirm by tapping Return again. If you delete a book, it will be removed from your device but will remain checked out in your account until it expires.