SimplyE is the new library e-reader app that makes it easier than ever to browse, borrow, and read library e-books—all for free. All you need is a library card to get instant access to thousands of e-books from bestsellers to classics—anywhere, anytime. OverDrive for Android >>
You can use the OverDrive app to borrow e-books as well as MP3 audiobooks. You will need a valid library card and PIN, and an email address.
- Go to the Google Play Store and install the OverDrive app.
- Open the OverDrive app and create an Overdrive Account, then sign in to Overdrive.
- Tap the icon in the top-left corner to open the Home menu. Tap Manage libraries, then tap + to find your library's digital collection.
Checking out e-books
- Search for a title, author, subject, or keyword, or you can browse titles by subject.
- When you are browsing titles a blue “available” banner on the cover of an item indicates that it is available to borrow. If a white “wait list” banner appears, the item is currently unavailable to borrow, but you can place a hold on it.
- Tap Borrow under the title of the book you want.
- If the item is not available you will see Place a Hold instead of Borrow. If you place a hold on the title, you will receive an email notifying you when it is available for checkout.
- If you are not already logged in to eNYPL, you will be prompted to enter your library card number and PIN and click Sign In. After you sign in, you will see the e-book you borrowed on your eNYPL Loans page.
- Tap Choose a Format and then tap EPUB.
- Enter your library card number and your PIN and tap Sign In. After you sign in the title will appear on your Loans page.
- Tap Download and then tap Adobe EPUB eBook. If you see a green checkmark next to Adobe EPUB format, tap Confirm & add to App. If you are downloading an audiobook, choose the MP3 format.
- Open the OverDrive menu and tap Bookshelf to find the e-books and audiobooks you have downloaded. (Please note that audiobooks require more time to download than e-books.)
Tap the book cover to start reading. Tap in the center of the screen to access the table of contents and bookmarks and the e-book formatting options, such as font size.
- To return a book from your OverDrive Bookshelf, tap and hold your finger on the cover of the e-book until the Delete, Return, and Share options appear.
- Tap Return and confirm by tapping Return again. If you delete a book, it will be removed from your device but will remain checked out to your account until it expires.
You can also install the cloudLibrary app on your Android phone or tablet running v. 4.1 or higher. This app will give you access to an additional collection of e-books available to borrow.
- Go to the Google Play Store and install the cloudLibrary app.
- You can browse books by category or search for books by title, author or subject. If a title is available to check out you will see a Borrow button next to the book. If the item is not currently available, you will see a Hold button.
- Tap the Borrow button to borrow and download the book in one step. If you see the Hold button, tap it to place a hold on the title if you wish.
- If you place a hold, it is recommended to enter an email address to receive notifications. Tap the menu icon in the top left corner, then tap Settings. Under Notifications tap Email and tap Yes, notify me. Enter your email address. You will receive a verification email message from cloudLibrary. Open the message in your email and click on the link to confirm your email address.
- From the menu tap My Books to see the titles you have checked out and to see a list of titles on hold with expected availability dates. Tap a book cover to start reading.
- To close a book and return to My Books, tap the center of the reading screen, then tap Close.
- To return a book early, go to My Books then tap Return Books near the top right corner. Tap the red Return button next to the title you want to return. cloudLibrary books automatically expire after 21 days.
Borrow e-books through the Catalog
You can search for and check out both OverDrive and cloudLibrary e-books through the catalog. When you search for e-books, you will see a button to the right of the title indicating that you can check out the book in OverDrive or in cloudLibrary, or place a hold on the title in OverDrive or cloudLibrary. You can also check the status of all your digital checkouts and holds under My eBooks when you log into your account.
Still need help? Find an e-book class at your local library.