You will need iOS 8.0 or later on your device.
- Download and install SimplyE from the iTunes app store.
- Tap Accept to agree to the terms of Service
- Browse the catalog or search to find a book available to borrow.
- Open and Read E-Books in SimplyE
Other E-Book Options
For older devices, PDF e-books and e-audiobooks: you can also use the OverDrive and 3M apps to borrow e-books and e-audiobooks from NYPL for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. You will need a valid library card and PIN, an email address and iOS 6.0+ (OverDrive) or iOS 7.0+ (3M.)
OverDrive E-Books and E-Audiobooks
You can use the OverDrive app to borrow e-books and audiobooks from NYPL for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. You will need a valid library card and PIN, an email address and iOS 6.0 or later on your device.
Setting up OverDrive on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
- Go to the Apple App Store and install the OverDrive app.
- Open the OverDrive app and create an Overdrive Account, then sign in to Overdrive. If you're under 13, select I am under 13 years old instead.
- In the OverDrive app, swipe from left to right to open the Home menu.
- Tap Add a Library.
- Enter your ZIP code or the name of your library. Find the name of your library, and then tap the star next to the name to add it to your list of libraries (you can add other libraries that you go to, like Brooklyn Public Library or Queens Library!)
Customizing your eNYPL lending periods
- Open the OverDrive menu and tap New York Public Library to go to the e-book catalog.
- Tap Sign In in the upper right corner of the screen, and then enter your library card number and PIN and tap Sign In.
- Tap the Account icon, and then tap Settings. Tap to select your lending period preferences. If you set your e-book lending period to 21 days, you will still be able to return books early if you are finished with them.
Checking out e-books
- You can search for a title, author, subject, or keyword, or you can browse titles by subject.
- To browse e-books tap the menu icon, and then tap Browse eBooks by subject. Tap View more… to see a full dropdown list of subjects and genres to browse.
- When you are browsing titles a black book icon on the cover of an item indicates that it is available to borrow. If a grayed-out book icon appears, the item is currently unavailable to borrow, but you can place a hold on it.
- After you select a subject, you can tap Filter search by: and then tap Available Now under Show me… to see only e-books that you can borrow immediately.
- Tap the cover of the e-book you want and then tap Borrow.
- If the item is not available you will see a Place a Hold button instead of the Borrow button. If you place a hold on the title, you will receive an email notifying you when it is available for checkout.
- Enter your library card number and your PIN and tap Sign In. After you sign in the title will appear on your Checkouts page. If you are already signed in the message, “This title has been added to your Checkouts page (under you Account).” appears. Tap the Go to Checkouts button. (If you miss the Go to Checkouts button, tap the Account icon to see your Checkouts.)
- Tap Download and then tap Adobe EPUB eBook. If you see a green checkmark next to Adobe EPUB format, tap Confirm & add to App. If you are downloading an audiobook, choose the MP3 format.
- Open the OverDrive menu and tap Bookshelf to find the e-books and audiobooks you have downloaded. (Please note that audiobooks require more time to download than e-books.)
Tap the book cover to start reading.
Tap in the center of the screen to access the table of contents and bookmarks and the e-book formatting options, such as font size.
- To return a book from your OverDrive Bookshelf, tap and hold your finger on the cover of the e-book until the Delete, Return, and Share options appear.
- Tap Return and confirm by tapping Return again. If you delete a book, it will be removed from your device but will remain checked out in your account until it expires.
3M Cloud Library
You can also install the 3M Cloud Library app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch with iOS 7.0 or higher. This app will give you access to an additional collection of e-books available to borrow through NYPL.
- Go to the Apple App Store and install the 3M Cloud Library app.
- You can browse books by category or search for books by title, author or subject. If a title is available to check out you will see a Borrow button next to the book. If the item is not currently available, you will see a Hold button.
- Tap the Borrow button to borrow and download the book in one step. If you see the Hold button, tap it to place a hold on the title if you wish.
- If you place a hold, it is recommended to enter an email address to receive notifications. Tap the menu icon in the top left corner, then tap Settings. Under Notifications tap Email and tap Yes, notify me. Enter your email address. You will receive a verification email message from 3M. Open the message in your email and click on the link to confirm your email address.
- From the menu tap My Books to see the titles you have checked out and to see a list of titles on hold with expected availability dates. Tap a book cover to start reading.
- To close a book and return to My Books, tap the center of the reading screen, then tap the X in the upper left corner.
- To return a book early, go to My Books then tap Return Books near the top right corner. Tap the red Return button next to the title you want to return. 3M Cloud Library books automatically expire after 21 days.
Borrow e-books through the NYPL Catalog
You can search for and checkout both OverDrive and 3M Cloud Library e-books through NYPL’s main catalog (http://browse.nypl.org). When you search for e-books, you will see a button to the right of the title indicating that you can check out the book in OverDrive or in 3M, or place a hold on the title in OverDrive or 3M. You can also check the status of all your digital checkouts and holds under My eBooks when you log into your account.