You will need iOS 8.0 or later on your device.
- Download and install SimplyE from the iTunes app store.
- Tap Accept to agree to the terms of Service
- Browse the catalog or search to find a book available to borrow.
- Open and Read E-Books in SimplyE
You can use the OverDrive app to borrow e-books and audiobooks for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
Setting up OverDrive on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
- Go to the Apple App Store and install the OverDrive app.
- Open the OverDrive app and create an Overdrive Account, then sign in to Overdrive. If you're under 13, select I am under 13 years old instead.
- In the OverDrive app, swipe from left to right to open the Home menu.
- Tap Add a Library.
- Enter your ZIP code or the name of your library. Find the name of your library, and then tap the star next to the name to add it to your list of libraries (you can add other libraries that you go to, like Brooklyn Public Library or Queens Library!)
Checking out e-books
- Search for a title, author, subject, or keyword, or you can browse titles by subject.
- When you are browsing titles a blue “available” banner on the cover of an item indicates that it is available to borrow. If a white “wait list” banner appears, the item is currently unavailable to borrow, but you can place a hold on it.
- Tap Borrow under the title of the book you want.
- If the item is not available you will see Place a Hold instead of Borrow. If you place a hold on the title, you will receive an email notifying you when it is available for checkout.
- If you are not already logged in to eNYPL, you will be prompted to enter your library card number and PIN and click Sign In. After you sign in, you will see the e-book you borrowed on your eNYPL Loans page.
- Tap Choose a Format and then tap EPUB.
- Enter your library card number and your PIN and tap Sign In. After you sign in the title will appear on your Loans page.
- Tap Download and then tap Adobe EPUB eBook. If you are downloading an audiobook, choose the MP3 format.
- Open the OverDrive menu and tap Bookshelf to find the e-books and audiobooks you have downloaded. (Please note that audiobooks require more time to download than e-books.)
Tap the book cover to start reading.
Tap in the center of the screen to access the table of contents and bookmarks and the e-book formatting options, such as font size.
You can also install the cloudLibrary app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. This app will give you access to an additional collection of e-books available to borrow through NYPL.
- Go to the Apple App Store and install the cloudLibrary app.
- You can browse books by category or search for books by title, author or subject. If a title is available to check out you will see a Borrow button next to the book. If the item is not currently available, you will see a Hold button.
- Tap the Borrow button to borrow and download the book in one step. If you see the Hold button, tap it to place a hold on the title if you wish.
- If you place a hold, it is recommended to enter an email address to receive notifications. Tap the menu icon in the top left corner, then tap Settings. Under Notifications tap Email and tap Yes, notify me. Enter your email address. You will receive a verification email message from cloudLibrary. Open the message in your email and click on the link to confirm your email address.
- From the menu tap My Books to see the titles you have checked out and to see a list of titles on hold with expected availability dates. Tap a book cover to start reading.
- To close a book and return to My Books, tap the center of the reading screen, then tap the X in the upper left corner.
- To return a book early, go to My Books then tap Return Books near the top right corner. Tap the red Return button next to the title you want to return. cloudLibrary books automatically expire after 21 days.
Borrow e-books through the NYPL Catalog
You can search for and check out both OverDrive and cloudLibrary e-books through the catalog. When you search for e-books, you will see a button to the right of the title indicating that you can check out the book in OverDrive or in cloudLibrary, or place a hold on the title in OverDrive or cloudLibrary. You can also check the status of all your digital checkouts and holds under My eBooks when you log into your account.
Still need help? Find an e-book class at your local library.