You will need: a library card and PIN, an Amazon Kindle or a Kindle app on another type of device, an Amazon account, Wi Fi, a browser where you can check out e-books. File types: Kindle (AZW)
You can read Kindle-formatted e-books on your Amazon Kindle or a free Kindle App.
Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for BlackBerry, Kindle for iPad, Kindle for Android, Kindle for Windows Phone 8
Customizing your eNYPL lending periods
- Go to http://ebooks.nypl.org, and click Sign In in the upper right corner of the screen. Enter your library card number and PIN and click Sign In.
- Click Account and then click Settings. Click to select your lending period preferences.
- If you set your e-book lending period to 21 days, you will be able to return books early if you are finished with them.
Checking out e-books
- You can search for a title, author, subject, or keyword, or you can browse titles by subject at http://ebooks.nypl.org. Browse eBooks by subject
- Click on View more... at the bottom of the Browse eBooks by subject column to see a full dropdown list of subjects and genres to browse. Click on a subject to view a list of titles.
- Use the Filter search by: options on the left side of the screen to limit your results to Format: Kindle Book.
- When you are browsing titles a black book icon on the cover of an item indicates that it is available to borrow. If a grayed-out book icon appears, the item is currently unavailable to borrow, but you can place a hold on it.
- After you select a subject or after you perform a search, you can use the Filter search by: options and choose Available Now under Show me... to see only e-books that you can borrow immediately.
- Click the cover of the e-book you want and then click Borrow.
- If the item is not available you will see a Place a Hold button instead of the Borrow button. If you place a hold on the title, you will receive an email notifying you when it is available for checkout.
- If you are not already logged in to eNYPL, you will be prompted to enter your library card number and PIN and click Sign In. After you sign in, you will see the e-book you borrowed on your eNYPL Bookshelf.
- Click Download and then click Kindle Book. If you see a green checkmark next to Kindle Book, click Confirm & Download. The Amazon.com website will open in a new tab.
- If you're signed into Amazon on your computer, it will recognize you. Make sure you're signed in with the right account. If you're signed in, choose where you’d like to have this e-book “delivered.” If you’ve already linked a Kindle or Kindle app they’ll show up in the list here. Click Get Library Book to complete the delivery.
- Sign in. If you don't have an account yet, you'll have to create one through I am a new customer. This doesn't require a credit card — just an email address and a password. Then you will need to connect your Kindle device or app to this account using the Settings menu.
- Choose where you'd like to have this e-book "delivered." If you've already linked a Kindle or a Kindle app they'll show up in the list here. Then click continue.
- Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi (click Menu > Settings >Wireless Settings > Connect). If you do not have Wi-Fi at home, visit one of our libraries or another Wi-Fi hotspot.
- If your download does not appear once you connect to Wi-FI, click Menu and "Sync and Check for Items."
Without Wi Fi
If you have an older Kindle without Wi-Fi, or no available Wi-Fi connection outside of the Library, there are a couple additional steps to transfer the e-book file from your computer to the device.
- In the final step of the checkout process, you'll have the option to download your e-book as a file.
- Connect your Kindle to the computer via USB and save the file to the Kindle's Documents folder.
- For more information, read Amazon's instructions for transferring files via USB.
In addition to Kindle formatted e-books, you can read EPUB e-books and listen to MP3 audiobooks on the Kindle Fire by downloading the OverDrive app from the Amazon Appstore. Follow the Android instructions for setting up the app and checking out e-books and audiobooks. You can also install the 3M Cloud Library app on your Kindle Fire, which gives you access to an additional collection of library e-books to borrow. This app is not available through the Amazon Appstore. Visit http://www.3m.com/us/library/e-book/kindle.html for complete instructions on installing and setting up the app.
- Go to amazon.com/manageyourkindle and sign in.
- Click the Actions button next to the title and then Return this book.
- If you choose to purchase the book from the Kindle Store or check it out again at a later date, all of your notes and highlights will be preserved.
- If you want to set up additional devices, see what you have checked out, or return a book, go to Manage Your Kindle.
- Need more help? View the Amazon Help page for public library books for additional resources related to Kindle devices and reading apps.
Borrow e-books through the NYPL Catalog
You can search for and checkout both OverDrive and 3M Cloud Library e-books through NYPL’s main catalog (http://browse.nypl.org). When you search for e-books, you will see a button to the right of the title indicating that you can check out the book in OverDrive or in 3M, or place a hold on the title in OverDrive or 3M. You can also check the status of all your digital checkouts and holds under My eBooks when you log into your account.